Please send us pictures of your knitting donations: firstname.lastname@example.org!
Ongoing Community Projects
We have three ongoing projects this year:
- Women’s Prison: Donate yarn, crochet hooks, patterns and related supplies.
- Handmade Especially for You: Guild member Lois Anderson collects hand knitted or crocheted scarves that are donated to women entering domestic abuse shelters. The scarf is a symbol and reminder of the woman’s strength and courage for leaving the abusive environment. Please make them 60 in. long and no more than 4 or 5 in. wide. Leave them in the Handmade Especially for You donation box at the meetings. Tags are in the box for you to write your name and attach to the scarf. Contact Lois at email@example.com or visit http://handmadeespecially.org.
- Monona Library Summer Reading Program Prizes: The critters we made were a big hit with the kids in Monona (and with guild members too). We decided to make this a year-round Guild Community Knitting Project. Here are the websites with directions for small and medium critters which we think will appeal to young readers at the library. We need around 500 critters by June 2013.
Bunny, monster and bird: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/bunny-nuggets (Tip: 6-stitch I-cords for the ears are much easier!)
Pencil toppers: http://flutterbypatch.blogspot.com/2011/04/pencil-dolls.html
Angry Birds: http://knitterbees.blogspot.com/2011/10/yellow-bird-plush-toy-pattern.html
A coiling snake: http://marymck.blogspot.com/2009/10/meey-sydney-stash-busting-snake.html Some cute little snakes: http://justonewip.blogspot.com/2010/02/snakes-adders.html
http://www.the-byrds-nest.com/2011/04/24/small-sssssnake/ And a knitted fish to knit in the round: http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/80764AD.html
Monthly Donation Projects
Each month the Community Projects Committee collects and delivers hand-knitted items to one or more charities. At each meeting, a special drop-off area with separate containers to collect yarn donations, completed items and monetary contributions will be set up.
Separate areas will also be available for the ongoing collection of yarn, supplies for Wisconsin Women’s Prisons and women’s scarves for Handmade Especially for You. In fairness to all, please follow these guidelines for yarn: Take only as much yarn as you plan to use to make items for the designated charities. If you would like any of the yarn for your own projects, please donate $1 per skein.
Labels with the Madison Knitters’ Guild logo will be provided. Please feel free to add one to each of your donated items.
If you would like to request donations for another charity or cause, we welcome your suggestions! Please contact Bonnie Dill, firstname.lastname@example.org . This will help the board coordinate multiple ongoing projects and assist with passing on your information to members not in attendance.
- September: Boys and Girls Club of Dane County
- The Boys & Girls Club of Dane County
Hats, mittens & scarves for boys & girls 7-18 years old
- October: Handmade Especially for You & WomenHeart
- Handmade Especially for You & WomenHeart
WOMEN’S SCARVES: 5" wide and about 60" long in cheery colors and RED scarves
- November: Madison Elementary Schools
- Madison Elementary Schools
Hats, scarves & mittens for boys & girls 6-10 years old
- December: Food Drive
- FOOD DRIVE
Non-perishable food, toiletries and cleaning products. Also diapers. https://Riverfoodpantry.org
May also take knitted hats, mittens and scarves in all sizes for needy families.
- January: The Road Home & Prorchlight
- The Road Home - socks, hats, mittens, scarves for adults and children (theroadhome.org)
Porchlight - SOCKS! Make some or buy a pack. Also warm hats and mittens and scarves (porchlightinc.org)
- February: Bayview Arts and Agrace Hospice Care
- March: Babies
Babies! - hats, sweaters, booties, and blankets. Will be given to a variety of charities.
- April: Handmade Especially for You and DAIS (Domestic Abuse Intervention Services)
- Handmade Especially for You - colorful scarves w:4-5" l: 60"
- Domestic Abuse Intervention Services (DAIS) - hats, mittens, & scarves for women, children, babies. You can see a wish list for donated items on DAIS website - http://abuseintervention.org
- May: Monona Library Summer Reading Program
- Monona Library Summer Reading Program - critters!